Thursday, January 1, 2015

Thankful Thursday, Jan 1, 2015

Good Morning Campers from Camp Sunnyside!!

It's #ThankfulThursday!! It's also a New Year!! Happy 2015!! Let's start the New Year off on the right foot and ask yourself, What are you Thankful for?? I am thankful that at the age of 23, I choose to no longer drink alcohol. After celebrating NYE last night while drinking sparkling cider, I was able to get to my 9am Boot-camp class.   I had battled with a drinking problem that slowly started at age eleven and grew into a major problem by the time I was 16, drinking almost daily. That was the pattern until I got a DUI six months after my sweet sixteenth birthday. One of the best things that happened to me!! Had to go to AA, was on probation, and did community service. I had slowed down immensely but didn't stop all together until I was 23.  At that moment, I told the beer that was left in my refrigerator, that "I can never have another one of you".  And I haven't! In fact, I haven't  had a desire to drink again. So that is what I most thankful for today... That I quit drinking and haven't been concerned with it ever since. It's a non issue for me. I don't regret any given morning waking up hangover free!! That has been the best feeling... Knowing that I can go out, even to a bar, with friends and wake up feeling fine while they wake up hungover. Believe me, it took me a long time to figure out how to have fun without drinking. But I did.  So if you are concerned about the  alcohol that you consume is a problem and worry what your life will be like without it... Let me the one to tell you,  IT IS GREAT!! If I can be a non-drinker for the last 17 years, so can you!! Reach out and get help if you need it, before its too late and get a DUI like I did.

As we face 2015 together, I hope that I can Sprinkle your day with a little Sparkle!! I hope that we can inspire each other as we try to achieve our goals for the New Year! May your day be filled with time for reflection to focus on what your goals are for 2015!! Happy Thankful Thursday!!

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Great blog to kick off the year. Thinking of committing not to purchasing any alcohol this year, I've already committed to a zero-tolerance for drinking then driving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your story! It is great to see young people taking a hold on their lives and learning from their past mistakes. Bad habits should never have a hold on anyone and I'm glad you found a way out. Keep your head high! The year is going to bring great things!

    Faith Brady @ KHunterLaw

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that you have made the promise to not buy alcohol will certainly limit your chances of getting in trouble. I took it one step further by telling my family and friends so they didn't have to slip and hand me something at a party or gathering and make us uncomfortable. Everyone now knows I am on this journey.

    Eliseo Weinstein @ JR's Bail Bonds

    ReplyDelete